“Be All You Can Be” with the Catalyst
Inspiration fm 92.3 Radio Program
Kunle works in one of the foremost banks in the country.
Nine months ago, Kunle was promoted to the level of deputy manager and assigned a branch as the branch manager.
He had always looked forward to managing his own branch and having such responsibilities.
Now is the time. He made up his mind that he was going to do a very good job and enjoy his work while at it.
The only thing is that so far, nine months down the line, the branch that was making profits under other managers has steadily declined and is now making huge losses.
Morale in the branch is extremely low and disagreements are commonplace among the branch staff.
Many key customers are no longer seen in the bank and they give polite reasons why they are no longer operating their accounts.
The bank leadership is alarmed at the sudden turn in fortune of the branch and have threatened to recall Kunle and demote him if the situation does not improve urgently.
Kunle is at a loss about what to do. He just does not understand.
One of the longest serving staff of the branch had this to say of the situation:
Mr Kunle wants the best for the branch but he doesn’t understand people and does not know how to handle both customers and staff.
He complains a lot about people’s differences, he gets really angry and sometimes loses control and shouts in the banking hall because some of us don’t do things the way he wants us to, even if we get the desired results in record time.
Mr Kunle simply does not have people skills and he lacks the emotional Intelligence to relate with people appropriately inspite of himself.
Now almost every body in the branch behave like him and do things like him, there is no diversity, creativity and originality.
Even when a big time customer is introduced to him, he just sits in his chair, says an abrupt hello and continues with his work.
Our Customers don’t like this. They want someone who can build and maintain rapport with them.
They want someone that understands them.
Mr Kunle either has to go or, change his ways otherwise this branch will go down and all our jobs will be at risk.
The real problem here with Kunle is his Personality and Leadership Style, this is the cause of the problem in the branch.
As a Leader & Manager, your Personality Style influences your Leadership Style and it Ultimately determines how you interact with people especially your subordinates.
There are four Personality or Leadership Styles with the following Attendant Temperaments as Highlighted.
1) Generals are Choleric
2) Team players are Phlegmatic
3) Socializers are Sanguine
4) Detectives are Melancholy
Some people may combine two or more of these Personality Styles and Temperaments.
Kunle is a General, he exhibits some of the following Leadership characteristics:
Focuses on tasks, goals and deliverables.
Very specific and direct
Has a tendency to push the team towards decisiveness.
Kunle as a General wants things to be done his way and does not understand why people want to do things any other way.
He does not have:
The consensus seeking skills of a Teamplayer
The Rapport building skills of a Socializer, The instinctive organization of a Detective.
As a Well Rounded and Great Leader Kunle needs to Develop all Four Personality Styles and know the Appropriate Time to Engage each Characteristic or Temperament I.e Kunle Needs to be more Emotionally Intelligent.
The Success of his branch is dependent on him knowing himself, being Aware of his Differences, Accepting his and other people’s uniqueness, and Understand how to use this New Knowledge and insight to Create Positive Influence and Success for himself and the Bank.
Personality Type refers to the Psychological classification of different types of individuals as an embodiment of a collection of qualities.
Personality Types are determined according to:
• Our flow of Energy/Extraverted or Introverted
• How we take in information/Sensing or iNtuitive
• How we prefer to make Decisions/Think or Feel
• Our basic day-to-day lifestyle preference
Personality styles are determined according to:
The Visible Aspect of our Character as it Impresses others.
For example, our:
• Coping mechanisms
• Responses to opportunity
• Responses to stress
• Responses to everyday interaction with others
“In other living creatures the ignorance of themselves is nature, but in man… …it is a vice”
We do ourselves as well as other people harm(evil) when we are ignorant of who we are.
In Kunle’s case his ignorance affected his customers, colleagues, subordinates, the branch’s profit and the entire branch. Ultimately this affected his own happiness and fulfilment.
Now Looking Critically at the Relationship between Personality and Emotional Intelligence.
Emotional Intelligence comprises of:
· Self awareness or the knowledge of your own emotions, strengths and weakness.
· Self Mastery or the ability to control and manage yourself.
· Social awareness or the knowledge of others, teams and/or groups.
· And relationship management or the ability to develop and maintain good relationships
The Awareness of Personality Types and Personality Style brings about Self Discovery and Self Awareness.
This eventually leads to Social Awareness and improves Relationship Management Skills.
Research has it that:
Approximately 85% of Success in Life is Determined by Emotional intelligence.
The Knowledge of Personalities invariably influences our Emotional Intelligence Quotient
Emotional Intelligence is defined as your ability to understand your emotions and that of other people and to use these emotions in an appropriate manner to achieve your goals.
Knowledge of self and others (Awareness) is therefore the first step in your Emotional Intelligence development journey.
For exaple, if Kunle was Aware of his personality tendencies and that of others, he will be more accepting and accommodating of other people’s behaviour and adapt himself accordingly.
According to the Myers Briggs Test Indicator MBTI, there are 16 Personality Types.
1) Duty Fulfiller – ISTJ
2) The Idealist – INFP
3) Performer – ESFP
4) Caregiver – ESFJ
5) Scientist – INTJ
6) Guardian – ESTJ
7) Executive – ENTJ
8) Inspirer – ENFP
9) Protector – INFJ
10) Visionary – ENTP
11) Artist – ISFP
12) Thinker – INTP
Guarantee your Success in Life Today, don’t be Like Kunle; Develop your Knowledge about:
1) Personality Types
3) Thinking and Decision Making Styles
4) Your Emotional Intelligence Quotient
To find out about your Specific Personality and Leadership Styles and more take our Personality Tests on http://www.imcconsultingnigeria.com/personality-tests.htm.
We will allow you take all our Personality tests for FREE, if you visit the above site within the next 48 hours.
Let me leave you with these Positive Confessions and Prayer on Emotional Intelligence.
· I am comfortable with who I am
· I accept and love myself just the way I am
· I remain cool, calm and collected even when provoked
· I am patient, and I have the ability to wait for anything that I really want
· I am able to laugh at my own mistakes
· I do not see failure, I see only feedback
· I maintain a positive mental and optimistic attitude to everything and everyday
· I accept the events of my life, even though, I cannot control or change them
· I respond sensitively, with compassion and empathy to the feelings of others
· I listen attentively with interest when people are expressing their concerns or complaints
· I am good at interacting, communicating and bonding with people
· I motivate, encourage and inspire other people to succeed
· People are endeared to me and feel at ease around me
· I am able to work well with people of differing beliefs, thoughts, religion, opinions and values without judgement
· I am Emotionally Intelligent and I am Wise
In Jesus Name.