Today, the 10th of September, is World Suicide Prevention Day and this year’s theme is “working together to prevent suicide” which is literally what my recently ended social media campaign, #BoostYourDoseofDOSE series was all about. If you missed any of the tips, search the hashtag on social media or click DOD to catch up now.
Together, let’s prevent suicide by boosting our dose of DOSE (DOPAMINE; OXYTOCIN; SEROTONIN; ENDORPHINS) and that of others by doing the following:
1. Eat Foods Rich in Tyrosine – Foods like Turkey, salmon, eggs, soybeans and soy foods, avocado, mustard greens, pumpkin leaves etc. Some studies have shown reports from more people whose suicidal thoughts, actions or self-harm have improved on diet
2. Exercise Regularly – read some of my recent posts on the benefits of exercise to your physical, emotional and mental well-being which can protect you from depression, addiction and other mental health challenges.
3. Increase social interactions – Suicidal thoughts thrive in isolation. Visit your friends and interact with them genuinely including the ones who may seem like they’ve got it all figured out.
4. Increase your Empathy and Warmth – Listen more, put yourself in the shoes of others and feel with them so you can understand them better. Remember, charity begins at home so take it easy with yourself and also have empathy for YOU .
5. Be generous, Give Gifts – Give something to others today, no matter how little. It could be your time, service, presence, phone call, forgiveness, lunch etc. giving gifts not only makes others happy, it also makes you happy. It increases your level of the “feel good hormones” which help to boost your dose of DOSE.
Share this with everyone you know and save a life. Help is available for anyone who is experiencing life, relationship, financial stress, unhappiness and unfulfillment:
A. Visit CoachME to speak with a life coach
B. For mental distress, depression or suicidal thoughts: CALL – 08062106493, 08092106493, 09080217555
C. To attend our 2 day Emotional Freedom Therapy (EFT) MasterClass to Build your Emotional Immunity or to book a face-to-face coaching/therapy session, please call 08077077000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org